Sunday, June 10, 2012

First Impressions


After leaving Atlanta around 3:15 on Wednesday afternoon, I finally arrived at the apartment where I will have my homestay on Thursday at 11 PM Amman time.  As we are 7 hours ahead of EST here, my trip lasted over 24 hours, making me one sleepy traveler by the time I finally got in bed!

I’m staying in the home of Madam Muneira, her husband Albert, and her 28-year-old son Danny, along with two other Davidson students, Devin and Sawyer.  Since family units in the Middle East tend to be closer, one of Muneira’s other sons lives with his family downstairs, and other family members are dispersed throughout the apartment building.  Now, I haven’t actually met Muneira yet—she and Albert are currently visiting another son in the U.S.—but from what I gather, she’s a seasoned host to students and a pretty fantastic cook.  So far, I’ve been hooked on her daughter-in-law’s hummus, foule (a bean dish), and pita bread, so I’m confident that other regional food will go down fairly easily.

Yesterday, Devin, Sawyer, and I set out to explore the city and decided to pay a visit to the Citadel, one of the earliest civilizations in Amman, which was first occupied during the Neolithic period.  Perched atop the highest point in the city, the Citadel offers panoramic views of Amman, and the artifacts in its museum made any early piece of American history seem brand new. 

The Umayyad Mosque

 
Overlooking Amman


While the visit to the site was definitely valuable, the journey that brought us there exposed the Amman novices in us.  Riding in a taxi for the first time, we made the unfortunate mistake of choosing one without a meter, which is illegal but allows the driver to set his own price.  We consequently paid about 5 times what the ride should have cost (I should note that this is still significantly less expensive than most American cabs), accepted our loss, and carried on.  Fooled once, but surely not again.

Today was Qasid’s orientation, a long series of sessions dealing with everything from how to avoid a bad taxi deal (only a little late) to what to expect in the classroom.  I have already met students from across the U.S., U.K., and Middle East, all learning Arabic for different reasons.  With such a diverse range of backgrounds, it’s sure to be a rich experience.

Now, as the call to evening prayer resonates from mosques glowing green around the city, I can feel my eyes drooping and know that it’s time to rest before another long day…

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julia,

    What an exciting time you will surely have for the next few weeks! I admire your willingness to tackle Arabic. Unfortunately, I have many regrets that I didn't stick with the French that I was learning in high school. I'll never forget the French exchange teacher (Mr. LeBras) who taught the second course which I took (I was the only boy in the class).

    My mouth began to water when I read your post about the native hummus, surely one of my favorite taste treats.

    I'll be thinking about you during this wonderful experience.

    Ben Layne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dr. Layne! It's good to know that I have a few interested followers.

    Several times since I arrived, I have found myself eager to speak French, if only to feel competent in a foreign language again. Arabic is a definite challenge, but it's a privilege to be immersed in the culture.

    I've already asked for my host family's hummus recipe and will be making several large batches once I'm home!

    Hope you're well,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete