Friday, January 25, 2013

Adventure Time, Pt II

There are only about 18 hours remaining until I leave American soil for the next 3 and 1/2 months.  After 5 weeks of winter break and many more months of anticipation, my readiness is at its peak.  My suitcase, which I am proud to announce weighs well under the 50 lb. limit, has been packed for at least 2 weeks, and today I will check the final items off of my to-do list.  All of these figures lead me to one unbelievable realization: tomorrow, I leave for Morocco!

Over 5 months have passed since I returned from Jordan, and since then, I have been as busy as ever.  Between a hectic academic semester and a host of summer internship applications, it was a challenging semester, but it was also one filled with joy.  As one of 8 members of Davidson's Eco-House, I learned the arts of crock-pot cooking, late-night yoga, and laughing until I cry.  Being a part of that special community was one of my most valued college experiences so far, and I will surely miss it.  Last semester also allowed me time to reflect on my summer experience in the Middle East, which I remember now as a challenging, but invaluable journey.

Now, I am preparing for the months to come.  Although there were 5 Davidson students in Morocco last semester, I will be the only one in the spring.  With 33 students from all over the U.S. participating in my program, there will be many new faces!  The program is based in Morocco's capital, Rabat, but we will be travelling to a variety of other cities, including Marrakech, Essaouira, and Chefchaouen. 

I've had several people ask whether I'm taking classes during this grand trip of mine, so rest assured, it is a study abroad program.  With a Multiculturalism and Human Rights theme, I will be learning about a variety of topics (i.e. women's rights, ethnicity, religion, etc.) as they relate to Morocco.  I'll also be taking a field research class in anticipation of a final independent study project, which I will complete on my own over the course of a month.  

As for the language, I will continue taking Arabic courses, and I hope to learn some of the Moroccan dialect, called darija, as well.  Fortunately for me, many Moroccans also speak French, which will simplify communication to a degree.  As I did over the summer, I will be staying with a host family, and I don't yet know what language they will speak.  My hope is for as little English as possible!

As I begin my final countdown to this next great adventure, I feel excited, curious, anxious, and open.  I realize that this is the opportunity of a lifetime, and I look forward to savoring every moment of it.  I am so grateful for the ongoing support, prayers, and good vibes from family, friends, and mentors.  Best wishes to you all for a peaceful and content semester, and please keep in touch!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Spencer! Missing you and everyone else, but loving Morocco already. Live it up the rest of senior year!

      Delete