Tuesday, August 14, 2012

That's a Wrap!


In less than 48 hours, I’ll be flying across the Atlantic on my final flight home, and my first day of Davidson classes is in less than 2 weeks.  It’s hard to believe that this summer is nearly over.  In some ways, it feels like I was just packing my suitcase, boarding my flight, and forming my first impressions of the Middle East.  Still, when I think of all that I’ve seen and done, I’m in disbelief that it’s already over.

I came into this experience with as few expectations as possible, not wanting to feel too hopeful or anxious about my time here.  Although I have travelled abroad in the past, this trip has been different from those in the past.  For one thing, it has been the longest time I have ever spent away from my family.  I’m not typically one to feel homesick, but I know that I will appreciate my week at home before I return to Davidson.  As of now, I’ve prepared a list of no less than 14 things (among them: a haircut, a Braves game, and trip to the farmer’s market) that I plan to do while in Atlanta.  Beyond that, there are a countless number of smaller things that I’m looking forward to.  Thunderstorms, meals without rice, and air conditioning top the list.

Spending a prolonged period of time in Amman has allowed me to experience the language and the culture in a more personal way.  This was not a vacation.  I have been immersed through my time with my host family, my daily taxi rides to class, and my journeys through the city streets.  My 10 weeks here have forced me to remove my rose-colored glasses and absorb all of Jordan, both positive and negative.  Amman has served as a comfortable home base, but I think that my travels outside of the city will leave the most lasting impression.

Without doubt, this journey will continue to make an impact on me long after I have returned home.  From my time adjusting to the culture and navigating the city, I think that I’ve gained a new sense of confidence and independence.  My time here has prepared me for a range of future challenges, including my anticipated semester in Morocco next spring.

When I reflect on the past 10 weeks, my primary reaction is one of gratitude.  I am incredibly thankful for the support that I have received from my family, my friends (especially the Davidson crew here in Jordan with me), the Qasid administration and faculty, Dr. Joubin, the Chaplain’s and Civic Engagement Offices at Davidson, and many more.  Thank you all for the support you have given me both before and during my time here.  This has been the opportunity of a lifetime, and I am so appreciative of those who helped make it a reality.

2 comments:

  1. Am checking the forecast for the next rain, in hopes that you can get wet soon aftr your return. Can't tell you how much I have enjoyed your blog, along with that of Sawyer. Between the blog posts and Skype, it didn't seem like you were so far away. No doubt the world has become a much smaller place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia! This is lovely & all, but you forgot to mention the best part of your trip here...

    ReplyDelete