Friday, July 13, 2012

20 Years and Over the Hill

Because we’ve been close to home the past few weekends, I’ve been somewhat lax with my blog.  But just because we’ve stuck around Amman doesn’t mean that there isn’t anything new to report!

In fact, it’s been a pretty eventful couple of weeks, as I celebrated my first international birthday when I turned 20 on the 11th.  I wasn’t sure what to expect in terms of a celebration, but between the thoughtful gestures and wishes from friends and family both here and at home, it was a joyful day!

 Since my birthday falls in the middle of the summer, I’ve always had the privilege of relaxing on that day.  I’ve spent birthdays at the beach, the pool, and around Atlanta, but I had never been in class until this year.  Fortunately, we’ve been doing some fun review games to prepare for our upcoming midterm exam, so it was a relatively positive experience.  My afternoon was true to my everyday routine here—gym, homework, and rest—but what followed made for one of the most memorable birthdays to date.

Getting ready to eat with host brother Andrew (age 7)

When I arrived home, the sweet smell of cake immediately brought a smile to my face.  My host mom, Muneira, had baked me a delicious marble pound cake.  This was beyond anything I had expected, and I was very grateful for her thoughtfulness.  Together with my Davidson friends and my extended host family, I enjoyed a great birthday dinner, listened to the birthday song in both English and Arabic, and blew out my candle (I guess I’m getting too old to have one for each year now—wouldn’t want to burn down the house!). 

Slicing the first piece with friend Devin and host brothers Danny (age 28) and Matthew (age 1 1/2)

Later that night, my host brother took Devin, Sawyer, and me to one of his favorite restaurants in town.  As we were talking, everyone in the place suddenly erupted in a “Happy Birthday” chorus.  I was happy but confused, until I realized that it was also the bartender’s birthday.  Oh well!  Happy birthday to us!

Mama Muneira and Matthew.  He's clearly the favorite grandchild.

Thanks to Skype, I was also fortunate enough to talk to both of my parents on my birthday and reflect on my experiences here so far.  July 11th also marked the halfway point between my departure from Atlanta and my departure from Amman in another 5 weeks, meaning that I’m now over the hill in my time here. 

I intentionally came into this experience with as few expectations as possible, not wanting to feel too anxious or expectant.  Still, I think that if I had recorded some of my predictions, they would have closely resembled the reality of my experience so far.  I am always learning here, as much on the street as I am in class.  Not every day is extraordinary, but I’m experiencing a typical (although privileged) lifestyle in the Middle East, which I believe is more valuable than any action-packed stint of sightseeing.  I have had some exceptional opportunities to see new things and engage in conversations with those who call Jordan home.  The role of religion in society, the bustling yet intentional pace of life, and the complex nature of the Arabic language continue to strike me as some of the most central influences on my life here.  I know that my experience has broadened my understanding of this region and has given me a new sense of confidence.  To have adjusted and be navigating my way around this region has been challenging, but I know that it will prepare me for a range of future tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment